The Aeons Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» It's strange...
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Angelkitty03 Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 pm

» For all the old members of Aeons viewing these forums...
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Dalris Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm

» Just Curious...
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Taylor Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

» This is one big trip down memory lane...
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby kcyy Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

» Hi How are y'all? (My Apoligies if this is the wrong forum!
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Christancia Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 pm

» Quick Headup , Please Stepby and look at this thread
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby DeeSeng Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:47 pm

» I made a vid...
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Hero4Ever Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 pm

» Idk how long.
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby DexlesILLBIS Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm

» Lockerz
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby nightclawz Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

» Joooooooon *frantically waves hands*
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Val Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am

» Evan Guide
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

» S> zak helm
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 am

» I'm back
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby LordOfBellocan Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm

» what the hell.
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

» Nexon’s Commitment to Online Safety
Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 291 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Aeons Guild Rules

No Hacking
No Scamming
No Spamming
No KSing
No Profanity
No Racial/Sexual implied languange

Minimum entrance: Level 90

*Members who are absent for more than one month will count as inactives, and therefore subjected for expulsion.  Those who left a reason for absence on this forum (recommended) or on BBS in game will be excluded.

*The invitation to join our guild will be extended to buddies/friends of current members.  All new members will be checked for past hacking/scamming histories.  All members MUST be on rank.

Need some advice on running a guild

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Slymeister

Slymeister

Name : (specify a nickname)
IGN : Mahamarue
Job : PA Spearman
Level : 6x
Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-07-05
Mood : Eeh...

Need some advice on running a guild Empty
PostSubject: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 2:33 pm

As the title says, I need some help running a guild...

Catastrophe (My guild run by PirateJutsu) is kinda stuck at 7 people...
(1 which is Will's mule >.> )

Anyways... I need some help with running a guild now...

Tips, Advice and anything is appreciated =P

Thanks
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

Name : NoobKing
IGN : DiscipleSin2
Job : Chief Bandit
Level : 113
Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2007-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Well the thing is, there's no easy way to do it. You're always gonna have people with different mindsets, moods, walks of life, beliefsets, etc. that will eventually cause some sort of problem with somebody else and THEN, if you're lucky Rolling Eyes you get a "Snowball" or "Trickle-Down" effect to get even more people involved. With that said, let's focus on some things that can go Wrong (I hate to be so negative here), since the "Bad times" are what most often cause a Guild to disband (other than being InActive)

My advice is to stay as Neutral as possible while still being able to set Rules and stick to them! You can't please ALL the people ALL of the time, but you also can't let people get to you when they are frustrated or angry (which is obviously easier said than done). You'll find that EVERYONE is unloading all their problems, gripes and frustrations on YOU... Don't take this personal, because you sort of ask for that when you start your Guild. We're all Human and nobody is perfect. Sometimes people just need to let off some steam (and that's fine), but it's when someone does this all or most of the time you might be concerned, because it may not be a great idea to keep someone in your Guild who has no regard or remorse for their fellow Guildmates. It sounds simple enough, but some people are very strategic in the way they go about this and it's not always easy to spot them.
The other thing I would suggest is dont make Hasty Decisions. Don't try to be the "nice guy" and give just anyone a Jr. Master position. You're about to find out what begging is really like... and it's usually the "beggars" who turn out to be the problem. But no worries, just tell them you need some time to think it through or to discuss it with the other Jr. Members. Most of your decisions should be made with your trusted Jr. Members (which, hopefully, is all of them) and hopefully sometimes with your Guild as a whole. Making too many decisions on your own will just cause animosity and jealousy and you'll probably find that you don't have any friends any more.

Well thats my 2 paragraphs worth (for now).
Here's a little test for you (let's see how you handle some real constructive criticism). Who knows, maybe I'll get some back in return scratch

The one thing I notice(d) about you Simon that rubs people the wrong way is that you have a tendency to always one-up the other person. Basically what I mean is you seem to always have a "better story" than the person telling it. Or your Equips are so much Godlier than their equips... I don't think you do it intentionally at all, but it might make people not want to really say anything if they know that what they have to say is just gonna be "topped" or shot down. I'm not trying to pick on you, but I think you need to watch your sensitivity towards people, because they're gonna want to be heard from by their Guild Leader.

I wish you the best of luck, Simon,
~Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Slymeister

Slymeister

Name : (specify a nickname)
IGN : Mahamarue
Job : PA Spearman
Level : 6x
Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-07-05
Mood : Eeh...

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 4:01 pm

I actually like the "Snowball" effect that can cause a guild to grow.
1 person join, tells his friends how good it is. And more join.

And I have know the Jr's I have are very trustworthy
(Dave, Emy and Will)

And your right...
I do try to top others. Which is a habit from being around my friends... since were all kinda competetive =P
But it may also lead to the demise of my guild if im not careful.
So i'll try to watch that

And again...
Thanks Jeremy
Back to top Go down
Elismerra
Administrator
Elismerra

Name : Pauline
IGN : Silmerra
Job : High Priestess
Level : 169
Number of posts : 1334
Registration date : 2007-06-19
Mood : ~MoonLion~
Need some advice on running a guild 0161

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:43 am

Running a guild is indeed a very difficult job.

Back when we just started this one, not once had we thought that we would have more than 30 members. Let alone GPQing or holding a Z-run.

If it's a small guild, then you are fortunate to have all the good friends as members to support you, and much less conflicts. But as the guild grow to the size of Aeons, you would soon learn, that there will always be disagreements among members.

As Jeremy put it, you can't please EVERYONE at all times. When there's a disput, you will have to make a decision and try to resolve it in a way that SATISFIED most if not all. Once a choice was made and generally agreed by Jrs., then do it. Being a guildmaster, your job is to do what's best for the whole guild, not for a few members. I know, it sounds pretty cold-hearted, but to wait for every single member in the guild to give nod for one issue is just impossible. (Again, if you only have plan for a small guild, then this shouldn't be too difficult.)

Yes, rules are very important. You might think that you are doing members a great service by not setting any, but without them, chaos followed. Let it be family, company, or country...all communities have their rules. By setting them, it would allow members to have a guideline to follow, and it would also ease your burden by showing how organized your guild can be. (And you don't have to repeatly warning the potential troublemakers too.)

I guess being the leader of the guild, you have to balance between trying to make everyone happy so they would stay, and enforcing a standard so you can push your guild to the next level. Being too soft, you would lose the respect that you deserved; while being too tough, others fear you and worse...hate you. We all have our own opinions, but the art is how we voice it in a way that's not offensive to others. Much as you don't want to...you would still notice negative commends about you all the time. Those are just unavoidable. When a guild is going strong, people applaud you; but as soon as something goes wrong, they would blame you, challange you, and generally throw their animosity at you.

Pretty much depends on what direction your guild going to be. If you want to have a friendly guild, not thinking about anything big such as GPQ or Zakum, then lighten up on the rules and decision making. But if you are looking for glory...then you will have a tougher time ahead of you.

(And yes, I have written this out of my heart...I have always been proud of this guild...but believe me, I had ulcer from resoloving issues...There's much more behind all the decision making that most weren't awared of. Health and happiness have been put on the line just for this guild...that's how much we have dedicated to Aeons. Some might laugh at us on how rediculous we are to care so much for a game, but I would like everyone to know--we care, because we view each and everyone one of you as our true friends.)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:13 pm

On that note, Pauline, I DON'T think it's so much an attatchment to the game. It's the people in the game, and no matter if it's a game or a chat room, those are still real people, and real friends (and sadly, sometimes real enemies). It's the people that count, so always put the people first.
Back to top Go down
Elismerra
Administrator
Elismerra

Name : Pauline
IGN : Silmerra
Job : High Priestess
Level : 169
Number of posts : 1334
Registration date : 2007-06-19
Mood : ~MoonLion~
Need some advice on running a guild 0161

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Indeed, Steve, that was very well said. We do try our best, unfortunately...we just can't make everyone happy...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some advice on running a guild   Need some advice on running a guild I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on running a guild
Page 1 of 1