The Aeons Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» It's strange...
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Angelkitty03 Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 pm

» For all the old members of Aeons viewing these forums...
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Dalris Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm

» Just Curious...
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Taylor Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

» This is one big trip down memory lane...
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby kcyy Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

» Hi How are y'all? (My Apoligies if this is the wrong forum!
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Christancia Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 pm

» Quick Headup , Please Stepby and look at this thread
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby DeeSeng Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:47 pm

» I made a vid...
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Hero4Ever Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 pm

» Idk how long.
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby DexlesILLBIS Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm

» Lockerz
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby nightclawz Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

» Joooooooon *frantically waves hands*
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Val Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am

» Evan Guide
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

» S> zak helm
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 am

» I'm back
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby LordOfBellocan Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm

» what the hell.
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

» Nexon’s Commitment to Online Safety
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 291 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Aeons Guild Rules

No Hacking
No Scamming
No Spamming
No KSing
No Profanity
No Racial/Sexual implied languange

Minimum entrance: Level 90

*Members who are absent for more than one month will count as inactives, and therefore subjected for expulsion.  Those who left a reason for absence on this forum (recommended) or on BBS in game will be excluded.

*The invitation to join our guild will be extended to buddies/friends of current members.  All new members will be checked for past hacking/scamming histories.  All members MUST be on rank.

Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE

Go down 
+3
Loveable Kaze
Slymeister
NoobKing
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NoobKing

NoobKing

Name : NoobKing
IGN : DiscipleSin2
Job : Chief Bandit
Level : 113
Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2007-06-21

Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE Empty
PostSubject: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 3:59 pm

I paid for a 1 month Subscription for Ventrilo. If you want to use the program just whiper me or one of the Jrs. and you can get the login information. We can have up to 10 ppl in chat at a time for now with this subscription.

This is the Ventrilo Download page:
http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

You need to install this software in order to use the service. You also need a microphone or headset ($5-$200). Headsets will be a better choice because they will reduce a lot of feedback from your speakers. I picked up a decent headset for $15.

Setting up Ventrilo:
You will need to download the Client program. Most people will only download the very first one on that page called:
Windows i386 - 32bit (Version 3.0.1)
...but it all depends on what kind of Computer System you are running. I run Windows XP Home Edition so I downloaded this one.
We are using Typefrag as the Host Server).
Here is the information you will need to enter:

I Copy/Pasted this information from the Mint Guild's website.
Jen (Burgandyrain) is the Author of the following Instructions. Credits go to her. (Red text is my thoughts). I did modify a few minor things (no offense to Jen).
:
Here are the instructions right from the Ventrilo site...the star Items are my comments.
-Jen

Start the program:
1) Start the Ventrilo program. Click on the "Start" button, click on "Programs" and then click on "Ventrilo". This will display another menu option called "Ventrilo" that will start the actual program.
**Ventrillo should also be on your Desktop as a "shortcut"**

User Name:
2) Click on the "Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE Icon_arrow" button that is next to the first pulldown window called "User Name". This will open a new window where you can create a Logon Name to be used when connecting to a server (this is what everyone sees you as).
Now Click the "New" button. This will open a small window where you can enter your Logon Name. The name you enter is entirely up to you. It can be your real name or a nick name. **Please use your Real Name or IGN (In Game Name) to avoid confusion.**
Click the "OK" button (there are other fields here, but you dont need to fill them out). You can come back to this window and click on the help button later on if you want more detailed information about what the other options mean and how to use them.

Server:
3) Now that we are back to the Main Window agian click on the "Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE Icon_arrow" button that is next to the pulldown window called "Server". This will open a new window where you can enter the details about the server you would like to connect to.
Click the "New" button. This will open a small window where you can enter a name that will describe the new server definition. The name can be anything you want it to be ...like: "My server" or "Joe's server". When entering a server name you don't need the quotes around it. These server names will show up in the main Ventrilo window. (Information will be provided for this if you are interested)
Now Click "OK" to finish this section.

Hostname or IP:
4) After you input the Server name, you will see a field called "Hostname or IP" just below the newly created Server Name you finished inputting. In this "input box" you need to enter the Server Hostname or IP address given to you by the person "hosting" the server.
(Information will be provided for this if you are interested)

Port number:
5) Next is the "Port number" input box. Enter the Server's Port Number here. The program will automatically display the default port number of 3784 but you can change this to what ever the server needs it to be.

Password:
6) Next you will see the "Password" input box. Enter the Server's Password as defined by the Server Administrator.

YOU'RE SETUP & READY TO CHAT!:
7) Click "OK" to return to the Ventrilo Main Window.

Connecting to the Server:
Cool Click "Connect" to establish a connection between you and the Server you just defined.

**Welcome! You did it!!!**

You should also click on the Setup button and configure all of the different options that control Ventrilo. This is very important when it comes to controlling the microphone or input source. Once in the Setup dialog click on the "Help" button. Be sure to read what all of the options are and what they mean. This is very important for the Voice page.

That's all there is to it. You can always add more server definitions and create new logon names at any time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeremy's Tips:
"Setup" config. stuff:

In the Main Menu where you connect there is also a button called "Setup". In here there are eight tabs to let you go through and configure Ventrilo to your preferences and personal "setup".

** UnCheck "Use Push To Talk Hotkey (PTT Mode)" - if you dont, then you will have to press an "assigned key" everytime you want to speak. Took me forever to figure this out Embarassed
AND

** UnCheck "Play Key Clicks" - this will rid the annoying noise/ding everytime your mic picks up your voice when you start talking.

** Sensitivity is another option you will probably need to fix. I think it defaults to 50 after you Install the program. I use 25, but Tom told me to start at 15. What happens is that the little Icon near your Username will turn Green for the duration that you are speaking. When you are silent (or the mic isn't picking up any sound) then your Icon is Red and noone will be able to hear you. When I tried Sensitivity to be 15, then my Icon was Green ALL THE TIME, because the mic's sensitivity level was so enhanced that it was picking up every little thing.

** Check the tabs "Use Direct Sound" wherever you can find them and choose your System's hardware here from the picklist.

** Make sure that your mic setting is NOT muted both in the Vent program itself AND on your PC Volume Control Panel. And also make sure volume is turned up/on.

Here is a Screenshot of how the Setup should look (keep in mind that this is on Window XP and the Sound Devices you see in the input fields may be different from yours):
https://2img.net/h/i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/jeremyaball/MS/ventexample1.jpg
Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE Ventexample1

** There is a Chat Room available while you are logged in the program. I can assist with your setup here. So far I have had to help the folks get setup as the program isnt that user friendly in the beginning. But once you get setup, it's pretty easy to figure out. :)

PLEASE feel free to ask questions!!! I'm not that technological, but I figured this out and will help you figure it out if need be. I asked some pretty nooby questions along the way, but everyone I talked to was very helpful and willing to take time to explain most of this to me. 👅

~Jeremy

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:40 pm; edited 23 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 pm

N00bKing wrote:
I asked Kat if we could try this especially for GPQ and near future Zakum Runs. She said Matt already asked her, too, and that he is going to set it up for us. W00t! Matt

Matt told everybody in guild chat that he was gonna set up his own server.
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Here is more info of problems i've seen people have in getting the rest of us to hear them:

Make sure your computer's Volume control panel is not muting your microphone line and the volume controls are up at a normal decent level. You can also find these settings in the section called "System Sound Control Panels" in the bottom right of the Ventrilo Setup panel.
You can also right click on your username while in the Ventrilo program for more setup options to make sure nothing is muted.

You may also need to go into your Control Panel under Sounds and Audio Devices to make sure nothing is conflicting (look for anything unusual such as hardware you know you may not have installed anymore).

Last edited by on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slymeister

Slymeister

Name : (specify a nickname)
IGN : Mahamarue
Job : PA Spearman
Level : 6x
Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-07-05
Mood : Eeh...

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 pm

I've used Ventrilo many times when I played WoW...

Used it more for Instances Runs
But it is a very handy program to have.

Another program I have used was TeamSpeak (Just a 2nd program similar to Vent)

So yea...
If Aeons does get a Ventrilo Server, good for that
It'll be very handy with our many GPQ runs, and Future Boss runs
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 am

Updating info on pricing and servers
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:39 am

Can you also explain this a little bit more to the rest of us who are ready to tear our hair out trying to understand that website?! Is it possible to translate to noob language?!?!(Between Guild Launch and Ventrilo, Pauline and I were ready to tear our hairs out last night) Shocked

I realized it's straightforward, but I'd like to have a bit more info on hosting and servers and all that jazz....
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:15 am

ABSOLUTELY, Marie!
Dont feel bad, I was the same way. in fact here's the email I sent them regarding My Frustrations:

Posted: 21 Jan 2008 01:13 pm Post subject: Re: Im ConfuzzledVentrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE Icon_quote

N00bKing wrote:
This is all greek to me, but im intrigued...
I bet this really comes in handy for your ZRuns.
I have a few questions if you dont mind. I have seen your Vent tab up there to the right, Jen ...and I went to the Ventrilo website and couldnt find my answers cuz i kinda just skimmed thru it because it was all quite confusing to me (terminology and such).
download the ventrilo client come talk to us and Tom =)

Quote:

What is the benefit to buying a subscription like you all did? Isnt it free, tho?
free vent server has to be hosted on someones computer.. and its alot laggier.. also ventrilo only alows 8 users at a time on a free server.. teamspeak allows 16 - unlimited i think.. but i prefer vents codecs.. much more clearer..

Quote:

Dont you have to use headphones with the mic? If so, what is a good brand and how much?
i use speakers.. and the mic i use is logitech.. most are good they are all cheap to buy.

Quote:

Does it cause any lag or other issues with MS running? I tried using Video Capture software a couple weeks ago and FRAPS was SOOOOO laggy for me. I also tried another Video Recording program where MS detected it as Third Party software and kicked me out Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE Icon_eek
lag is minimal as its only voice.. but depends on your connection.

Quote:

Is there lag between talking or is it like talking on your home phone to your neighbor?
lag is more noticable for me.. since im in australia and the server is usa..
so if im talking to my brother.. its more laggier.. since voice from me goes to usa and back..

Last edited by on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:18 am

Shocked I'm still confuzzled~ Shocked

*sigh*

*EDIT*
I'm confused not BLIND JEREMY!
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:20 am

oh goodness, give me a minute. you're posting on top of me.
I'll explain the site itself when i get home ...back to work
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:51 am

o.O NoobKing and NoobQueen getting in a fight again. PopCorn anyone?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:54 am

Dont dirty my ears with profanity in voice chat guys.

* Profanity in guild voice chat= immediate expulsion*

lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 12:05 pm

OMG now I can hear couples propose to each other, no more smega?
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 1:11 pm

you all freakin crack me up!
I totally agree, Kat. You all need to lay out a set of plans for this. What words are (borderline) OK, what words will get you expelled, etc. Also consider avoiding certain types/topics of conversation (racism & stuff like that).

Where to edit now that Kat's spammed up my Thread LOL
I guess I'll add to the Main Thread Body then.
BTW, you all know there's a limit to how much you can enter in the Thread Body. I hit that limit the other day making those 4th Job Posts and thats why they're broken into job/class Threads. Anyway...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 1:27 pm

KAT SPAMMING?!?!?! *GASPS*

It's a good thing you're adorable sis....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 3:05 pm

"Hello ! Hello !
Are you sure you're Marie? Are you sure you're my sis?
Mom? Could you tell me this is my sis? "
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 3:41 pm

dang you, kat.
I locked this so I could update it and not get the error msg. saying someone (MARIE - & now KAT) has posted while you were updating.
Lucky I "Ctrl C"'d before hitting "Send" Razz
(I always get timed out of this site whether Im at home or at work Shocked Sad Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, the instructions are there.
Feel free to Ask Questions! Though it's probably just going to be more confusing now because we dont have the program yet.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Okay okay Mr Cranky.
Its your fault sis, why did you pick a fight with him? Now hes in bad mood.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 3:48 pm

Why do I always get blamed?!?! Rolling Eyes

ANYWAYS...Thanks Jeremy for the post...still a little confusing, but I'm sure it'll work out...
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 3:50 pm

⭐ lol just playin', kat ⭐

Im excited to get this going :king:

it's really not as confusing as it looks:lol:
Back to top Go down
Loveable Kaze

Loveable Kaze

Name : David
IGN : Kazegenso (retired)
Job : Writer
Level : up! =D
Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2007-06-19
Mood : Speechless!

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:01 pm

I got a mic-headset today, and I like it already. I used it on MSN with Marie just to see if it worked. It also came with a disk for Skype. I've heard a lot about Skype, and it seems to be easier to use than Ventrilo. Just tossing it out there. I downloaded Vent, but it's confusing me....
Back to top Go down
http://www.profil3.com/ByMyself
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Not sure about using Skype ingame tho. Most people I've talked to use Vent and its supposedly way better than TeamSpeak, too.
It's fairly simple once you start using it. the instructions up there, per Jen, got me in the game where I could get help form everyone how to get set up and i listed them at the bottom of the Thread.
Back to top Go down
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 am

updated this thread for Ventrilo Setup

Also see the second comment...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 8:07 pm

yea its not hard at all Jeremy f3

oh well at least its fun once u get it
Back to top Go down
Erika x

Erika x

Name : (specify a nickname)
IGN : OchickibabeO / 0n3Wing3d
Job : Priest / Crossbowman
Level : 74 / 40
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2007-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:24 pm

So necessarily, to use vent you need a microphone...?

x x x
Back to top Go down
http://www.profil3.com/OchickibabeO
NoobKing

NoobKing

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Erika x wrote:
So necessarily, to use vent you need a microphone...?
x x x
Well, you need a mic if you wanna talk, but noones stoppin you from just listening :king:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE   Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ventrilo (Voice Over IP Communication Software) GUIDE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next