The Aeons Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» It's strange...
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Angelkitty03 Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 pm

» For all the old members of Aeons viewing these forums...
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Dalris Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm

» Just Curious...
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Taylor Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

» This is one big trip down memory lane...
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby kcyy Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

» Hi How are y'all? (My Apoligies if this is the wrong forum!
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Christancia Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 pm

» Quick Headup , Please Stepby and look at this thread
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby DeeSeng Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:47 pm

» I made a vid...
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Hero4Ever Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 pm

» Idk how long.
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby DexlesILLBIS Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm

» Lockerz
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby nightclawz Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

» Joooooooon *frantically waves hands*
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Val Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am

» Evan Guide
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

» S> zak helm
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 am

» I'm back
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby LordOfBellocan Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm

» what the hell.
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

» Nexon’s Commitment to Online Safety
3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 291 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Aeons Guild Rules

No Hacking
No Scamming
No Spamming
No KSing
No Profanity
No Racial/Sexual implied languange

Minimum entrance: Level 90

*Members who are absent for more than one month will count as inactives, and therefore subjected for expulsion.  Those who left a reason for absence on this forum (recommended) or on BBS in game will be excluded.

*The invitation to join our guild will be extended to buddies/friends of current members.  All new members will be checked for past hacking/scamming histories.  All members MUST be on rank.

3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks

Go down 
+4
Zakurai
CosmoWizards
hikaru95
Bilbo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bilbo
Administrator
Bilbo

Name : Daniel
IGN : Bersy
Job : Dark Knight
Level : 200
Number of posts : 1820
Registration date : 2008-03-20
Mood : pretending to be a Hobbit

3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks Empty
PostSubject: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 11:26 am

School holds tolerance seminar as 3 boys are arrested in 'ginger' attacks
The 12- and 13-year-old boys may face criminal charges after allegedly beating up 11 red-haired students at a Calabasas middle school. Most parents urge strong punishment.

By Victoria Kim and Richard Winton
November 30, 2009
www.latimes.com

3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks 50803159

Monique Kleinfinger and her daughter Samara, 12, recount how she was hit by a half-dozen other students at A.E. Wright Middle School on Nov. 20. "They seemed to think it was a big, funny joke," Samara said.

The Calabasas middle school that was shaken this month by attacks on redheads was jolted again Monday when news spread that two 12-year-olds and a 13-year-old had been arrested in the bizarre incident.

Apparently spurred by a Facebook site and inspired by the animated "South Park" television show, "Kick a Ginger Day" brought notoriety to A.E. Wright Middle School, an ordinarily peaceful campus that sponsored a tolerance assembly for students Monday in the wake of the attacks. The "South Park" episode, first shown in 2005, was itself supposed to be a lesson in tolerance but misfired, with harassment of red-haired students taking place at schools across the U.S. and Canada over the last few years.

[...]

In Calabasas, a parent said she knew one of the boys who was detained and described him as shy and quiet. Alexandra Townsend said the boy was recently bullied himself, tied to a basketball pole by other students.

Townsend said she's considering private school for her daughter, Jasmine. While students had mixed opinions about the significance of the incident, parents who spoke to The Times Monday were not at all ambivalent.

"They should be very, very harsh with the punishment," said Ruthie Stockfish, who was dropping off her daughter Ella's clarinet. "My daughter has light-brown hair. She's cute. Is tomorrow going to be cute-kid-hitting day?"
Back to top Go down
hikaru95

hikaru95

Name : (specify a nickname)
IGN : bellocan
Job : Fighter/sin/beginner
Level : 4x/2x/1x
Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2007-10-12
Mood : bored fixing to play maple =)

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 1:02 pm

OMG what is going on these days. I thought south park was rated high because of the cursing and the sexuality. what are parents doing letting these kids watch it. I'm mad these kids did that and even madder at the parents who let them watch it.........
Back to top Go down
CosmoWizards

CosmoWizards

Name : Jon
IGN : TakinMyTime, CosmoWizards[quit]
Job : ????, Bishop
Level : 10, 154
Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-10-02
Mood : Wants Spring Break to last forever

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Wow, people take things way too far. When it was kick a ginger day, I simply nudged and tackled my best friend. South Park's bad, though. :|
Back to top Go down
Zakurai

Zakurai

Name : Jorman
IGN : WhiteSage713/ThrustSwords/ThrustPoles
Job : Bishop/Dawn Warrior/Aran
Level : 167/112/70
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-05
Mood : Planning for that one day.

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm

What's wrong with people these days? Seriously.
Back to top Go down
http://zakurai.wordpress.com/
Drew

Drew

Name : Peeping-shrew-vert
IGN : HOLYMorphine, DARKCru5ad3r, ShoGunBoat
Job : Bishop, Hero, Outlaw
Level : 183, 152, 113
Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2008-05-11
Mood : Born a warrior, trained a fighter, lived as a crusader and died a Hero.

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

I saw that south park episode, it really didnt have much to do with anythign that happened. I believe this was ment to be a joke but as all things certain people take it too far. I mean kicking your friends as a joke is fine, but then you get kids who run around and kick all the gingers they can find apperently giving more than harmless taps on the shin.
Back to top Go down
Dytes

Dytes

Name : Kim
IGN : Krygerin, Dytez, Krygaran, Dytes
Job : Sader, Blaze Wiz, Aran, I/L
Level : 7X,120, 5X, 5X
Number of posts : 520
Registration date : 2009-07-27
Mood : Looking forward to the future with a smile on my face.

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 2:35 pm

-sigh- Just because it's on TV... doesn't mean you have to do it.
Back to top Go down
Drew

Drew

Name : Peeping-shrew-vert
IGN : HOLYMorphine, DARKCru5ad3r, ShoGunBoat
Job : Bishop, Hero, Outlaw
Level : 183, 152, 113
Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2008-05-11
Mood : Born a warrior, trained a fighter, lived as a crusader and died a Hero.

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

The episode has nothing to do with kicking gingers.

Last edited by DARKCru5ad3r on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : im confused xD)
Back to top Go down
Trev0r269

Name : Trevor
IGN : DecemberVII
Job : I/L Mage
Level : 120
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-11-23
Mood : null value input voided upon resolution

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 4:18 pm

I blame the parents, not the show. However, I don't blame the parents for letting the kids watch the show. Shielding children from reality only creates more problems. Parents need to take a more active roll and discuss with their children what is "right" and what is "wrong".

Censorship does not create better morals, or values. Censorship creates closed minds that regard an act as "wrong" without thinking about why that act is "wrong".

Southpark is a very funny show, the only problem lies in that the humor on that show can be seen as both adult and immature. Immature children laugh at the toilet humor, but often are not intelligent enough to see the greater social commentary behind that humor.

I believe these children that acted violently need to be spoken to and educated on violence, not just blindly punished. At that, the punishment should be no different than any other punishment for violence.

Oh, and if that woman thinks that private schools will be any better for her daughter, she is dead wrong. Private schools can kick students out, where as public schools cannot. That is the only difference. Jerks exist everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Bilbo
Administrator
Bilbo

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 8:43 pm

The article seems to attribute the incident - or at least connect it - to South Park. I'm not familiar with the show, however.

Considering the media has become a more powerful means of influence, I believe it must be held responsible should it contribute (even indirectly) to notorious acts in the society. That includes the internet, which is more difficult to monitor. Parents can play a role but they are less influential than the media. That can be argued.
Back to top Go down
Trev0r269

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2009 9:08 pm

Bilbo wrote:
The article seems to attribute the incident - or at least connect it - to South Park. I'm not familiar with the show, however.

Considering the media has become a more powerful means of influence, I believe it must be held responsible should it contribute (even indirectly) to notorious acts in the society. That includes the internet, which is more difficult to monitor. Parents can play a role but they are less influential than the media. That can be argued.

The media is indeed a very powerful influence, full of many biases, much information, and a entertainment that isnt always suitable for all demographics/psychographics. I could argue that this article has a conservative bias in that it relates and insinuates fault upon Southpark, especially when the episode in question did stress tolerance. People have the freedom to think for themselves, and in this case turn off a program should they chose to.

I still cannot hold South Park accountable for this incident, where obviously these children had some sort of anger, or problem with violence in the first place. Just because a few people without proper parental guidance took a show about tolerance too far and missinterpreted it's moral, that doesn't mean that society as a while has to be punished, or that the show (or TV a medium) must be censored to a greater degree. If parents are less influential in their child's life than the media, than that parent has not done a good enough job being a parent.

People with free-thinking, open minds that posses their own set of morals are not easily swayed by the media/government's. It is a parent's job to instill morals in childrean, and to be part of their child's life. Part of that is the implementation of dialogue and education.
Back to top Go down
DKsDragon

DKsDragon

Name : Steve
IGN : DKsDragon, BigKnuckles, DKsEvan, FEARandHOPE
Job : Dark Knight, Buccaneer, Evan, Dawn Warrior
Level : 151, 131, 125, 120
Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2008-04-29
Mood : if you see this and want to contact me, use discord:
deekay#1690

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 11:22 pm

That episode was great *sigh* Cartman = Hitler.

And the parents that let their kids watch this stuff are just as much to blame as the kids themselves. I mean cmon, after EVERY commercial break it has a warning... TAKE A HINT!!!
Back to top Go down
Bilbo
Administrator
Bilbo

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 6:03 am

Obviously the warnings didn't work lol. What are they for anyway? It looks to me that warnings only serves to free the broadcasting company from legal responsibility. It's like posting offensive material on a forum in a spoiler thinking the spoiler will save your butt. Or like saying 'no offense' in a conv and then utterring offensive speech. If you really care, you'd modify the whole presentation/show/post/whatever to make it harmless in all means.
Back to top Go down
Trev0r269

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 7:07 am

The warnings at there to free the show/network from some backlash, but mostly to warn people unfamiliar with the show. The warnings are used in good faith, being used often and being shown for long enough for an individual to read the warning clearly.

Forums often have a set of rules and guidelines that lay down the definition for "offensive", where as the media (TV in this case) does not. There is no country-wide moral code (in the USA) setting standards for what is funny vs. offensive. Each family has to set their own code of values. If TV and the media already set forth some kind of moral code, that would give parents an even bigger excuse to use the TV as a baby-sitter, and thus not be involved in the lives of their children.

I would be very angry if Southpark was taken off the air, and so would many other people. Just because a few misinterpret the meaning behind these episodes, that doesn't mean that all of society should suffer.

Parents have to take an active role if they want to shield their children from reality. TV, movies and video games all have ratings and warning. There are safeguards set up to enable parents to screen what shows their children can watch. Heck, maybe if the parents watched this show, too they could talk to their children about the episode...sort of like how teachers will read and "now what was the moral of the story?"

I still think that these children had some issues deeper than just mis-handling an episode of Southpark. An old episode of a cartoon show was not the primary force behind these children getting violent; they have some other issue that made these kids think that it's ok to hurt other people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks   3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3 boys arrested in 'ginger' attacks
Page 1 of 1