The Aeons Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» It's strange...
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Angelkitty03 Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 pm

» For all the old members of Aeons viewing these forums...
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Dalris Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 pm

» Just Curious...
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Taylor Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 pm

» This is one big trip down memory lane...
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby kcyy Sat May 18, 2013 10:47 pm

» Hi How are y'all? (My Apoligies if this is the wrong forum!
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Christancia Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:18 pm

» Quick Headup , Please Stepby and look at this thread
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby DeeSeng Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:47 pm

» I made a vid...
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Hero4Ever Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 pm

» Idk how long.
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby DexlesILLBIS Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 pm

» Lockerz
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby nightclawz Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm

» Joooooooon *frantically waves hands*
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Val Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am

» Evan Guide
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

» S> zak helm
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 am

» I'm back
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby LordOfBellocan Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:47 pm

» what the hell.
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby DKsDragon Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

» Nexon’s Commitment to Online Safety
Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeby Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 291 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 pm
Aeons Guild Rules

No Hacking
No Scamming
No Spamming
No KSing
No Profanity
No Racial/Sexual implied languange

Minimum entrance: Level 90

*Members who are absent for more than one month will count as inactives, and therefore subjected for expulsion.  Those who left a reason for absence on this forum (recommended) or on BBS in game will be excluded.

*The invitation to join our guild will be extended to buddies/friends of current members.  All new members will be checked for past hacking/scamming histories.  All members MUST be on rank.

Sense and Sensibility

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Sense and Sensibility Empty
PostSubject: Sense and Sensibility   Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 8:09 am

Sense and Sensibility was written in the late 1790s but much revised before publication in 1811. It is primarily the story of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. The death of their father has left them, with their mother and younger sister, financially pressed. Both women fall in love, each in her own characteristic way --- Marianne is extravagant and public with her emotions, Elinor restrained and decorous.

The object of Elinor's interest is Edward Ferrars, brother to Fanny Dashwood, her odious, stingy sister-in-law. Elinor learns that Edward has been for some time secretly, unhappily, and inextricably engaged to a young woman named Lucy Steele. She learns this from Lucy, who, aware of Elinor's interest though pretending not to be, chooses Elinor as her special confidante.

Marianne hopes to marry John Willoughby, the book's only sexy man. He deserts her for a financially advantageous match. The Surprise and disappointment of this sends Marianne into a dangerous decline.

When Lucy Steele jilts Edward for his brother Robert, Edward is finally free to marry Elinor. Edward seems quite dull but at least her own choice. Marianne marries Colonel Brandon, the dull man Elinor and her mother have picked out for her.

Questions:

1.One of the tenets of Romanticism is that instinct and emotion are better moral guides than reason. At one point in the book, Marianne tells Elinor that if she (Marianne) were doing anything wrong, she (Marianne) would know it.

Do people usually know when they're doing something wrong?

Do you think Austen thinks so?

Does Marianne do anything wrong?

2.Critic William H. Galperin does not like Colonel Brandon. He has characterized Brandon's pursuit of Marianne as "insistent, if sinister."

As one part of his case against Brandon, he refers to two points in Willoughby's final conversation with Elinor in which anonymous informants figure. "Mrs. Smith had somehow or other been informed" Willoughby says, of his affair with Eliza, and later "some vague report" of Marianne reaches

(I found this question on one of my research papers for my Lit class and found it very interesting)

3.Willoughby's final confession to Elinor is one of the books more unsettling and unexpected scenes. It allows us in some part (how much?) to forgive and pity him. It reminds us that he is the only sexy man in the book. It reminds us that Marianne once wanted a marriage in the Romantic tradition and has got a rational one instead. How do you feel about that?

Does Sense and Sensibility have a happy ending?

Why does Lucy get to be happier than Willoughby?
Back to top Go down
Elismerra
Administrator
Elismerra

Name : Pauline
IGN : Silmerra
Job : High Priestess
Level : 169
Number of posts : 1334
Registration date : 2007-06-19
Mood : ~MoonLion~
Sense and Sensibility 0161

PostSubject: Re: Sense and Sensibility   Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 am

Seriously...I think the most terrible person is Mrs. John Dashwood...

Even though that's besides the point...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sense and Sensibility   Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2007 11:19 am

I totally agree with you Pauline. Fanny Dashwood is the most self absorbed, hypocritical character I've ever encountered!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sense and Sensibility   Sense and Sensibility I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sense and Sensibility
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Aeons Guild :: CHAT HEAVEN :: Aeons BookClub-
Jump to: